By Lauri Leadley
Getting proper sleep, both in duration and quality, is critical for your physiological, emotional, and mental well-being. Some people struggle with getting enough deep sleep, and frequently wake up during the night. This is a frustrating experience that will leave you feeling groggy and irritable throughout the day.
Using plant-derived essential oils while you sleep can have profound calming and restorative effects on the body. Smell is the only one of the five senses that directly impacts the emotional brain. The olfactory nerve is responsible for your sense of smell, and it relays sensory data to the brain. When you smell something pleasant and relaxing, the brain releases feel-good hormones that can promote deeper sleep. Aromatherapy is a natural sleep aid with no side effects. Here are 4 amazing essential oils that you can use for deeper sleep:
- Lavender oil. Lavender has long been the most popular essential oil for sleep. It is calming, soothing, and a natural scent that helps relieve symptoms of stress and anxiety. Sleep studies have shown that lavender oil can reduce blood pressure, slow down the night-time breathing rate, and improve the sleep quality for women suffering from postpartum depression.
- Sandalwood oil. The rich, woody scent of sandalwood oil promotes relaxation and has sedative effects. Sandalwood oil has long been used for better overall psychological and emotional well-being. This earthy scent can also help eliminate headaches and reduce bedtime restlessness.
- Jasmine oil. Jasmine is a strong relaxant and very calming to the brain. Studies have shown that jasmine oil is a natural sleep aid that helps the brain release more Gaba, a chemical that promotes rest and relieves anxiety. Jasmine’s sweet fragrance can keep you from tossing and turning at night and prevent interrupted sleep.
- Vanilla oil. Pure vanilla oil, different from the vanilla extract that is used for cooking, is a very pleasant scent for the brain and brings about an increase in feel-good hormones. This scent has shown to be a powerful anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and a relaxant. Vanilla oil helps relieve tension and calm the mind, helping you fall asleep faster, and stay asleep longer. Vanilla has also been shown to help you breathe more easily, promoting respiratory health.
Choosing which of these 4 amazing essential oils to use for deeper sleep should just be based on your personal preference. Essential oils should not be inhaled directly, but rather diluted in water or with a carrier oil. Here are the two easiest ways in which you can use your essential oil of choice:
- Burn the essential oil in a diffuser. Just add four drops of the essential oil per 100 ml of water in the diffuser and keep it on low heat throughout the night. High-quality diffusers are available that also act as an air humidifier and air purifier. It is best if you use at least 500 ml of water so that the liquid will not be entirely used up before you are awake. You can buy a long-running diffuser that can continuously work for up to 18 hours.
- Apply the essential oil topically to your skin. Mix three drops of the essential oil with a teaspoon of a carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, or olive oil. Apply some of this mixture with your fingers on top of your nose, on the neck, and underneath your ears.
Valley Sleep Center – We Can Help You Sleep Better!
Do you or anyone close to you suffer from continued sleep deprivation? Do you suffer from another form of sleep disorder? If yes, then you need help.
Contact us at Valley Sleep Center for an accurate analysis and treatment plan.
To consult with professional sleep coach Lauri Leadley, please email us at email@example.com